Forfront respects the personal privacy of individuals and is committed to ensuring that our clients are acting in line with EU, UK and US legislations and guidelines regarding privacy and electronic communications.
To ensure compliance, the e-shot system provides an automated opt-out link and includes full sender's company and contact details which clients cannot remove or disguise.
For those clients wishing to use a third party list provider we recommend you follow the advice of the Information Commisioner's Office which suggests the following: "If you are buying or renting a list from a broker, you will need to seek assurances about the basis on which the information was collected."
For reference we provide the following information for our clients and their subscribers.
UK and European Legislation
US Legislation - CAN-SPAM - What the Law Requires
Here's a rundown of the law's main provisions:
- It bans false or misleading header information. Your email's "From," "To," and routing information - including the originating domain name and email address - must be accurate and identify the person who initiated the email.
- It prohibits deceptive subject lines. The subject line cannot mislead the recipient about the contents or subject matter of the message.
- It requires that your email give recipients an opt-out method. You must provide a return email address or another Internet-based response mechanism that allows a recipient to ask you not to send future email messages to that email address, and you must honor the requests. You may create a "menu" of choices to allow a recipient to opt out of certain types of messages, but you must include the option to end any commercial messages from the sender.
- Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your commercial email. When you receive an opt-out request, the law gives you 10 business days to stop sending email to the requestor's email address. You cannot help another entity send email to that address, or have another entity send email on your behalf to that address. Finally, it's illegal for you to sell or transfer the email addresses of people who choose not to receive your email, even in the form of a mailing list, unless you transfer the addresses so another entity can comply with the law.
- It requires that commercial email be identified as an advertisement and include the sender's valid physical postal address. Your message must contain clear and conspicuous notice that the message is an advertisement or solicitation and that the recipient can opt out of receiving more commercial email from you. It also must include your valid physical postal address.
Other relevant links:
You shall not send email with an invalid "From:" or "Reply-to:" address. All messages sent to your list must contain valid email addresses and you must be responsive to all replies from members of your list, including unsubscribe requests. All list messages must include opt out (unsubscribe) instructions in order that members can opt themselves out from such list. You may not refuse or ignore opt out requests from members of your list. List owners should respond to member requests for manual removal from the list with courtesy and timeliness. You may not use Forfront for one-time mailings to a list of members after which you substantially delete the membership and create a new list. Your membership must be a static, permanent list to which you add or delete new members and/or members opt in (subscribe) or opt out themselves in the ordinary course.
You may not use the Services to send unsolicited email ("spam"), commercial or noncommercial. Your email will be considered unsolicited if your membership addresses are not 100% opt-in by your email list members. If your email addresses came from harvesting, a purchased email list, another mailing list (even with the approval of the list owner), or were compiled by any other method other than direct subscription from your email list members, for the purposes of this Agreement, those emails will be considered unsolicited email ("spam"). If we receive complaints that you are sending unsolicited commercial or non-commercial email ("spamming"), in addition to other rights that Forfront may have under these Conditions or under applicable law, Forfront may, at its sole discretion, suspend your service pending a reconfirmation of your entire email list membership. There is no reduction or refund of fees during any period of suspension. This reconfirmation may be carried out by Forfront in any reasonable manner it determines, in its sole discretion, including without limit, sending an email to all of your list members requiring confirmation of their wish to continue their subscription to such list.
If Forfront determines in its sole discretion that you have been spamming, in addition to any other rights under these Conditions or under applicable law, (i) Forfront may bring an action in any court of competent jurisdiction to stop such activity, it being understood that such activity may cause irreparable harm to Forfront which may not be fully compensatable by monetary damages and (ii) Forfront may recover from the Client monetary losses caused to Forfront by such activity in an amount equal to (a) £500 for each such item of unsolicited email which the Client has sent to each separate and identifiable email address in violation of this Rule, which amount the parties agree is a fair and reasonable estimate of Forfront' losses which would be occasioned by such violation; or (b) if Forfront can establish a greater amount of monetary loss, the amount of such actual monetary loss suffered by Forfront as a result of such violation including, but not limited to, any damage or loss (including legal fees) resulting from any claim made against Forfront as a result of Client's conduct in violation of this Rule. In addition to the foregoing, Client shall be responsible for costs incurred by Forfront in bringing such actions, including legal fees.
Forfront monitors the content of emails created by the Client and may at its discretion immediately and without notice to the Client suspend the Services if it considers in its reasonable opinion that the Client is in breach of any of the provisions of the above paragraph 7 and no refund of payments to Forfront will be made. Forfront accepts no responsibility or liability to the Client for any direct or indirect loss or damage that may arise under this paragraph.